Golems are small utility mobs that the player can create. They are composed of a "golem body", an "animation core", and optionally various upgrades and accessories. To use golems effectively, the player needs an additional tool, the "Golemancer's Bell", used to set "marks" for them and to pick up golems for storage or to move them elsewhere. An additional block is also provided to help control them: The Golem Fetter can be powered with redstone. While powered, any golem passing over it will be deactiviated until either the power goes off, or the golem is pushed off the Fetter.
Golem Bodies Edit
All golem bodies are produced in the Crucible (or Thaumatorium), from a block of material and equal amounts (either 4 or 8 points apiece) of the aspects Humanus, Spiritus, and Motus. The different bodies provide very different levels of durability, carrying capacity, speed, and healing. All of these capacities can be increased with upgrades (see below). Most bodies can only accept one of the elemental upgrades, but a few can take two.
|Straw||Hay Bale||Very Low||Very Low||Average||1||Fast|
|Wood||Greatwood||Below Average||Low||Average||4||Above Average|
|Flesh||Block of Flesh||Low||Low||Very Fast||4||Above Average|
|Tallow||Block of Tallow||Average||Average||Average||8||Average|
|Stone||Stone Bricks||Above Average||Above Average||Slow||16||Slow|
|Iron||Block of Iron||High||High||Very Slow||32||Very Slow|
|Thaumium||Block of Thaumium||Very High||High||Slow||32||Slow|
- Italicized bodies (Flesh, Tallow, and Thaumium) require 8 points essentia per aspect, and can accept a second elemental upgrade.
- The Flesh body is considered "forbidden knowledge".
- Clay, Stone, Iron, and Thaumium are fireproof, and can also walk under water. (The others float.)
- Carry limit is individual items, not stacks.
One note about "durability": Any golem with maximum health above 10 (5 hearts) will have only 10 health when placed, and will take some time to heal up to their full health. This discourages dropping an army of powerful combat golems into a monster encounter.
Besides a body, a functional golem requires an Animation Core, which gives it one of several specific functions. These are more fully described on the Golem Cores page, but a summary is below.
There can be up to three stages to produce a golem core:
- A blank core is produced in the crafting table from 4 bricks and Nitor.
- The basic cores are produced with crucible recipes (or in the Thaumatorium), by combining a blank core with 5 points apiece of two aspects of essentia, with the particular aspects determining their function.
- The advanced cores are produced from basic cores by arcane infusion (see the Golem Cores page for full recipes).
- In 4.2, the Butcher core (like the Flesh body) is considered "forbidden knowledge". It is produced from the Guard core, but in the crucible rather than by infusion, so it is listed with the basic cores.
|Basic Cores||Aspect 1||Aspect 2||Function||Base For|
|Gather||Lucrum||Terra||Collects loose items and stores them in a home inventory.|
|Fill||Fames||Vacuuos||Takes items from marked inventories to home inventory.||Sort|
|Empty||Lucrum||Vacuuos||Takes items from home inventory to marked locations or inventories||Use, Sort|
|Harvest||Messis||Meto||Harvests crops||Chop, Fishing|
|Decanting||Aqua||Vacuuos||Fills containers with fluid||Alchemy|
|*Butcher||Bestia||Corpus||Slaughters adult domestic animals|
|Chop||Chops down trees (top-down).|
|Fishing||Placed near water, will automatically fish in it (catches anything a player can!).|
|Use||Can use most tools or trigger machines at specific locations.|
|Sorting||Takes items from home inventory to only those marked inventories that contain the same item.|
|Alchemy||Takes essentia from a furnace or other device and stores it in a bank of warded jars.|
Golem Upgrades Edit
There are three basic categories of golem upgrades:
- Six "elemental" upgrades, granting various enhancements depending on the core. Normal golem bodies can have only one or two elemental upgrades attached, depending on type. "Advanced" golems get an extra slot, but can still only have two of any one element's upgrade. These upgrades are visible as tiny colored jewels at the golem's waist.
- There are another eight "accessory" upgrades which do not count toward this limit, each adding new capabilities or enhancements. Most accessories can be combined, but each golem can only wear one of each type, and some cores or bodies cannot use some upgrades In particular, many of the accessories apply primarily to combat golems. These are all visible on the golem's model. Accessories that cannot be combined include:
- Tiny Hat and Tiny Fez
- Iron Plating and Bowtie
- Visor and Spectacles
- There is also an "Advanced Golem" infusion (forbidden knowledge), applied to any golem body, which provides multiple enhancements, including an extra slot for elemental upgrades. An advanced golem has a glass-encased brain visible atop their head. It also makes their GUI messages much more varied and "interesting".
|Air||Increases movement, ranged attack speed|
|Earth||Increases strength: Melee damage, harvesting speed, carry limit (goes up by 4-16)|
|Fire||Adds more interface slots, melee attacks set target on fire|
|Water||Vision: Increases activity range, also range & accuracy for Ranged attacks.|
|Order||Allows use of colored markers, unlocks various features for different cores.|
|Entropy||Adds "Thorns" effect. Can work more categorically with items, optionally ignoring the "damage" value, ignoring NBT data, or checking the ore dictionary for similar items.|
|Advanced Golem||Slightly faster, slight increase to vision, adds one slot for elemental upgrades.|
|Tiny Hats||Increases health, vitality (healing).|
|Tiny Spectacles||Increases vision range.|
|Tiny Bowties||Increases speed.|
|Tiny Fezzes||Rapid healing.|
|Golem Dart Launcher||Gains a ranged attack. Guard golems only.|
|Golem Visor||Kills drop experience and "player-only" drops. Slight armor increase. (Guard or butcher golems.)|
|Golem Iron Plating||Heavy armor, slower.|
|Golem Mace||Increases melee damage (Guard or Butcher golems).|
Golem Control Edit
Golems have up to three major features that are used to control them, though not all cores use all the features: The "home location" where it is placed, "marks" placed with the Golemancer's Bell, and "item slots" accessible in their GUI. The GUI may also include "checkboxes" to select various options for their behavior. Full discussion of control can be found in the Golem Cores page, but this table summarizes home and mark usage, and whether item slots are available:
|Core||Home Inventory?||Mark Inventories?||Item Slots?|
|Use||Out or none||No||Yes|
|Decanting||In (liquid)||No||Yes (1)|
|Alchemy||Out (essentia)||Yes (essentia)||No|
Harvest, Fishing, Chop, Guard, Butcher: These cores have a home location only. They do not use inventories or marks.
The research tree for golems leads early to creation of the Travelling Trunk, a chest that follows you around carrying its contents. It can teleport after you similarly to dogs and cats, and can even follow you between dimensions. It can be picked up with the Golemancer's Bell, but normally drops its contents when you do so. The trunks are sturdy but not invulnerable. If damaged, they can be healed quickly by feeding them, or slowly on their own. Each Trunk can accept one of the elemental upgrades used for golems, with each element giving a different enhancement:
- Air: Moves faster.
- Earth: More item slots.
- Fire: Attacks hostile mobs, setting them on fire.
- Water: Nearly invulnerable. In SMP, can only be used by the player who placed it.
- Entropy: Sucks in loose items nearby (if it has room for them).
- Order: Can be picked up with its contents, as an item.
See their own page for more details.
The topic begins with the straw golem and gather core, but then branches out into three main research trees: Bodies, Cores, and Upgrades, with accessories an island of secondary research. This gallery gives an assortment of sample research pages.
|Straw, Wood, Flesh, Clay, Tallow, Stone, Iron, Thaumium||Gather, Fill, Empty, Harvest, Guard, Decanting, Butcher, Chop, Fishing, Use, Sorting, Alchemy||Air, Earth, Fire, Water,||Golemancer's Bell, Traveling Trunk, Golem Fetter|